Working on a Few Things


I'm at the point where so much is going on but so little is getting done--but things are starting to give way a bit.  That might sound cryptic, but I'm just hopeful that quite possibly the universe will give me a freakin' break sometime in the future.

One thing I definitely need to get done is trimming The Cat's claws.  See, it usually gets done at her vet visit; however, last week's check-up went really wrong.  Oh, she's fine--she just really blew her fuse after we got there at 6:30 and they were three patients behind.

Doggie patients.

I knew it was going to go downhill fast when only minutes after we arrived, a woman drops her dog's leash to pay and doesn't step on it--so the dog makes a beeline for the cat carrier!  Thanks a ton, lady.

Then, it's another hour in the waiting room with a rambunctious (but harmless) pit-bull mix with a female Disney character's name.  Oh, the barking.  Not music to our ears.

As you can imagine, by the time it was The Cat's turn, she wasn't having any of it.  She snapped at the tech, and then at the doctor.  She needed a blood test, so she had to get muzzled which I think is a first.  (Steroid rage may have played a part.)  I do believe there also were three staff members needed to handle her.  Poor PO'd kitty.  In the midst of all this--and the fact that it was getting on to 8:00--her claw-trimming was missed.

So she accidentally scratched my cheek while patting my face Saturday morning (her wake-up call).  It's a tiny mark but she drew blood.  I'm on the fence about hauling her back in, but claw-trimming is a two (plus) person job.

I gotta work on figuring that how (and when) to get that done, without traumatizing her.  Or me.

If anything, I'm working on minimizing my traumas and getting on with thriving in the face of--well, whatever life is handing me.  

It still feels like quite a few lemons, so I guess I'm working on lemonade.  I'll let you know if it's any good.

  

Comments

ccr in MA said…
Oh, dear, to the vet story! It sounds like the time I took Harold to the vet (which he hated) in the car (which he hated) and while we were there, there was a thunderstorm, which he totally hated! It was like his worst day ever. If I was closer, I could try to help with the claws; from here, all I can do is wish you good luck!
Kate P said…
Oh, yeah--they know the car leads to the vet, so that's strike one already. But a thunderstorm must have been super-distressing.

Thanks for the well-wishes. I'm not looking to give blood so as much as I don't want to haul her in again, she needs the trim badly, so I think I'll call.
Red Stethoscope said…
Oh no! I'm just catching up on your blog and this sounds awful! The last time we took Remi to the vet, the waiting room was full and he was also bad (jumping around, barking, peed in the corner). Also, a cat in a carrier hissed at him and he jumped under the bench beneath me and hid...such a brave little man I have (NOT).

Glad the cat is feeling is a little better...I feel like the lick/healing wounds are the worst, because they just won't leave them alone! If she won't tolerate a kitty shirt, maybe tying gauze around the wound? Would she get it off? Feel free to ignore me...I'm not a cat whisperer or anything. At this very moment, Remi is wearing a cone for his licking.
Kate P said…
Going to the vet is a trauma, isn't it? All those strange animals and nowhere to hide. (And trust me, she has tried to hide EVERYWHERE at that vet--including the cabinet under the sink!) Thanks for the advice; I will keep it in mind if this doesn't do the trick. I think the cream is speeding the healing so that she's not tempted to scratch it. It's still not pretty, but it's not shredded--or re-shredded--either.

Popular Posts