Reality, Hard-Hitting

Hope everybody's Christmas/Hanukkah/combination-thereof was happy. Mine was pretty good--had fun on Christmas Eve with my dad's side of the family (including the littlest nephew's confusion over the two bearded cousins who closely resemble his daddy), I sang lots of great music in church, and miraculously, my brother didn't hold Christmas dinner up (they didn't come until after!). I also received notice that I'm cleared for graduation!

However, I think I'm starting to come back down to earth from the post-school "high," and it's a little bit of a bummer.

For starters, I've been doing nothing but cashier work at the bookstore since the 18th. I miss helping people find books--the real library-esque part of the job--plus the customers are starting to wear on me a bit. I've had too many credit cards thrown at me (really, is it too much effort to place it in my hand or swipe it your darn self?) and too many old dudes winking at me (one old dude is too many). Thankfully I haven't become a missed connection yet.

I'm noticing an awful lot of newly engaged women buying their bridal magazines and the cuddly pregnant couples buying baby guides lately, too. Not really feeling envy, just. . . between that and the "I don't have a real job" stuff, I'm starting to get that "What's going on with my life?" feeling. Strongly. Probably the irregular work schedule is throwing me a bit off, too--I know I need to catch up with my blogs very badly. Probably need to spend time in a library, too.

Instead of freaking out about the big question, I'm just going to try to take it a day at a time. I have Tuesday and Wednesday off (yup, I have to work on New Year's Day--why is the store even open, people!?) and I'm just going to keep plugging away at the big list of things to do.

Oh, yeah, and I'm going to try to have some fun, provided I remember what fun is. You can post your suggestions in the comments if you'd like to clue me in!

Comments

Dave E. said…
Congrats on being officially cleared for graduation. Hang in there on the "real" job search, I'm sure something will come up in due time.
Kate P said…
Thanks, Dave. You're probably right--it'll happen when it happens. I just have to be in the right place at the right time!

Popular Posts